Christmas Card Cares

Earlier this week I was so glad to get the mail and see several Christmas cards postmarked on Christmas Eve. I love the pictures and the letters--especially from people I can't keep up with on Facebook!

My excitement was tempered by some of the news carried in those messages. My heart has been heavy as I realize that age and illness is catching up with my parents' generation. People I love are in failing health and I'm too far away to spend time with them.

Earlier this month I went "home" to attend the memorial service of one friend's father; two emails tonight informed me of similar losses for other friends.

Once upon a time I set out to get my counseling degree. I wanted to help others with burdened hearts. As I progressed through the program though, I realized that I lack a fundamental trait to do the job well--I'm not very good at detaching myself from others' issues. I wouldn't be very good at turning out the light at the end of the day and leaving what I'd been told on the desk. I don't just 'hear' the problems, I feel them and carry that feeling with me.

And so, I struggled with the news that arrived in my mailbox and my inbox. The admonition to "bear one another's burdens," weighs heavy.

Thankfully, I'm reminded that there is no burden I have to bear alone, "Give all your worries and cares to God, because he cares for you."

As I feel the weight of troubles--mine, those close to me...the world's--I am making a new effort to re-direct them to the Shoulders broader than mine and the Back stronger.

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...