On Being Grateful for the Raisins


Today, I made a special effort to make homemade muffins for the boys for breakfast/snack.

I have a big thing of oatmeal that I want to use in creative ways (because I myself can't stand it as mush). I also always have a half an apple around that Boo didn't finish and I'm tired of throwing them away.

So I found (what I thought was) a great recipe for Oatmeal Apple muffins.
I learned:
  1. They pretty much only like muffins with frosting. Which is kind of just a cupcake.
  2. They only like raisins if they are NOT in a muffin.

So, what was meant to be something special for them ended up feeling like a wasted effort. As did the pasta I made for lunch (which they ended up having for dinner because I wasn't going to strike out a 3rd time and if they get hungry enough, the meal they didn't want at lunch looks pretty good).

It was one of those days where I know I'm experiencing what my mom did. The days that all moms know. You buy the teenage girls something special; they hate it and won't wear it. You plan a special afternoon with your pre-teen boy and all he really wants is to ride his skateboard in the street with his buddies.

There's no gratitude for the thought or intention; just a rejection of the effort and a stubborn resistance to whatever wasn't up to their standards or in their plan.

In the end, my frustration today wasn't as much about my efforts being rejected as much as it is my concern that maybe I give them what they want so often, they don't understand the concept of being grateful for the things they don't want.

Like at Christmas when they're looking for that one special gift. It might be in the pile, but sometimes they go through a lot of other gifts before they get to that one. Often, the things that were overlooked and unappreciated become favorites as time goes by, but in that moment they aren't grateful.

I know I do the same thing with God. I ask for the things I want. I get what I get. Well actually, I get what He thinks is best for me. And sometimes what I get is a steak dinner instead of the Lucky Charms and milk that I was craving. It's hard to believe that sometimes I'm not grateful for the steak at the moment.

But I want to be.

I want to trust that my heavenly father knows what I really need and gives to me accordingly, even when it feels like I'm just not getting what I want.

As I learn to be grateful for the things that I don't think I want, maybe I can teach my children to be grateful for the 'raisins' too.

Matthew 7:11
"If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!"

Muffins of Gratitude

I'm going to make these muffins in the future when I need a reminder to be grateful for what God brings into my life--whether it's what I think I want/need or not. (And despite the protestations, they're actually very moist, tasty, quick and healthy.)

1/2 c. pancake mix (I used Krusteaz Oat Bran Pancake mix)
1 c. uncooked oatmeal
1/2 c. brown sugar (I was out; white worked fine)
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (omitted since the pancake mix had some and the kids aren't fans)
1 tbsp. flax seed meal (optional)
1/2 c. peeled chopped apple
1/3 c. raisins

1 c. lowfat milk
1 egg
1/4 c. oil (I substituted applesauce)

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

Spray bottoms of muffin tins with non-stick spray. Combine pancake mix, oats, sugar and cinnamon. Stir in chopped apple and raisins.

Stir together remaining ingredients. Add to dry ingredients, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake 15 to 20 minutes. Makes 1 dozen.

6 comments:

Jill Beran said...

Yes, we have much to be thankful for and always a great lesson to teach our kids. I was at a MOPS meeting this morning and our speaker was wonderful - her son had a major football injury that resulted in $125,000 surgury and still no use of his arm only weeks after her husband was diagnosed with cancer. It has been a trying walk with worries and lots of waiting, but still she spoke with His strength and of His faithfulness. It was a real encouragement, but we'll never be thankful for the hard things if we don't have appreciation for the "raisins."

Thank you for the kind words and advice you left on my blog. If you have any more insight for me as a beginning author - I would love to hear it!

Joyful said...

I was reading your comments this morning on a couple of blogs I visit and wanted to come over and say 'hello'.

Thanks for this reminder. Not being a 'raisin in muffin' fan, I could relate well to the parallel. Sometimes I bite into a muffin, thinking it's 'plain' and I'm met with a 'foreigner'. Not what I expected. Now what I anticipated and definitely not what I wanted.

Sometimes God's plans for me are not expected, anticipated or wanted. I see the 'now' but He sees the refining purpose of His will for me, and at times it's hard to swallow.

I want to be thankful for the 'plain' as well as the 'raisin' muffins, even when it calls for a sacrifice of praise.

Tasting and seeing that God is good,
Joy

Genny said...

I love muffins....these sound so good! I love raisins. I just wish my kids did, too. LOL!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Thank you for your sweet comments this morning. God has been doing a real work in my heart this week, and I am grateful for his kind and intended intention toward me. He has revealed his presence in rich and surprising ways, and I am grateful for the heart and the wisdom to see him as he comes. These moments are so important to me; I no longer take them for granted. I seek them out, everyday, even when the easier "preference" would be to settle for what's on the shelf.

He has become the pureset preference of my heart. I love the fact that he rescued me and that he has seeded kingdom purpose within me, even on days when the mirror says otherwise (by the way, why didn't you buy that mirror?!!).

peace~elaine

Anonymous said...

Ahh, being grateful. Its so easy to see what isn't working in our favor isn't it? Thanks for this post as I can certainly see how I am guilty of this also!

Heaven said...

Thanks for stopping by with the encouragement about Moses. Yes, God does provide and I needed that reminder at that moment! I love how God perfectly timed that. Thank you! Thank you! Also, looking forward to reading another post from you. Blessings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...