Ruby Tuesdays--Words of Wisdom

Welcome to Ruby Tuesdays. Each week we take a look at a characteristic of the Proverbs 31 woman and how she can inspire us on our journey to a fun, fulfilling, fully-faceted life.

"She opens her mouth with wisdom..." Proverbs 31:26

In honor of Mother's Day, I thought I'd open up Ruby Tuesdays to discuss women who've influenced us with their wisdom. Maybe your actual mom, maybe a spiritual "mom" or mentor.

I know as I've grown up and grown into being a mom myself, I understand my own mom's struggles and efforts more than I did before. I know I didn't always appreciate her sacrifice for us, nor did I always value her "sermons" as she tried to keep my sister and me from learning things the hard way. Despite my resistance, some of her wisdom did seep in.


Some of the things I learned from my mom:
  • When God opens a door, go through it and keep going until it's clear he's sending you another direction (there's a long story that goes with this one that I'll share soon).

  • Always keep your commitments.

  • It's ok to say no. Sometimes roles or positions need to be left open so the right person will see the need and step up to fill it. If we take on everything ourselves someone else might miss the blessing of serving where they are called.
  • Things work out best if we live the way God designed, but He can redeem situations where we don't and turn them for the good in the end.
What about you? As you reflect on the women who've had an influence on you, who were they and what did they teach you? Are you passing any of those things on to your own next generation?

This week I'm expanding Ruby Tuesdays to include any post that references a woman in your life who shared her wisdom with you. Put the URL to your post in Mr. Linky and grab the code for the Ruby Tuesdays button so others can join in. (I'm not sure why Mr. Linky isn't working today--feel free to add a link in your comments and when it works again, I'll add it to Mr. Linky.)


1 comment:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Mr. Linky? Just add my post when you add linky. My mother has been an incredible influence in my life for so many reasons. I'm thinking about her because of your words here and realize that she needs a post all her own. Maybe this weekend. How I pray to be a godly influence in the lives of all my children, even as she was for me.

peace, Mary~elaine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...