It's all a matter of perspective...


We went for a train ride today.


This is the view from one side of the train...


this is the view from the other.
Which do you prefer?

If you were me, and your soul is refreshed being near water,
you'd favor the west side with the river running next to it.


But, if you're Bug, whose soul sings with a hint of anything train related,

you'd love the east side with its signals and sidings.

Same train, same journey.
Different views. Different viewpoints.

If I'd insisted we all sit on the west side and just look out at the river, it wouldn't have been nearly as fun for the boys. As lovely and calm and relaxing as the riverside view was, it really was kind of boring. When you want to relax, boring can be a good thing. But when you're 6 and 3, boring is just...boring.

One of the biggest things I've learned as a parent is that I benefit from seeing things from someone else's perspective. As the 'grown-up' I can easily push my agenda and we do what I want, when I want to do it (I grew up very much this way). But I think I get more from the journey when I take the time to see another point of view.

If I'd only looked at the river side, I would have missed this,
(the state capital)

and this
(the end of the Pony Express route)
And maybe even this...

2 comments:

Julie Carobini said...

Hey RefreshMom :) Great post! I'm planning a trip out to ICRS this year and bringing the fam along for several days of vacation. After my work gig, we'll be shopping (for the girls), visiting Pike's Peak (for the guys & me :), hanging out w/friends (for everyone). Kind of a win-win-win thing.

RefreshMom said...

That sounds awesome Julie! I think Denver is one of the more fun places they have ICRS. I hope you all have a great time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...