In Search of Oasis...

I have been a lousy blogger lately. ("Tell me something we don't know, Mary.")

I've managed (for the most part) to keep my commitment to the devotional sites I write for, but I haven't been able to get much posted here. I think I finally figured out why.

I have a mission here--to be a place of refreshing in the midst of sometimes dry, dusty, desert-like ordinary days. But our life has been extremely desert-like for a couple years now. And when circumstances lead to being parched, it's not easy to provide refreshment to others. It's kind of like that old youth group game where you have to cram a sleeve of saltines in your mouth and then whistle.

But even so, God has been faithful to keep me from shriveling up altogether. And I want to be more faithful in sharing that. So my posts might be shorter than usual (some would say that's a good thing!), and they might not be profound or deep (after all, I've been dwelling beside puddles rather than wells). But maybe, as I am aware of the oasis' I find while wandering in our particular desert, my observations will help you see the lush, green, refreshing places He's prepared for you as well.

So even though it's summer (which is the driest time of all on the west coast), and the boys are out of school and Hubs and I are scrambling to fill our days with productive work (and I have dreams of completing some writing projects as well), I'm going to take the time to see where God brings moisture to the parched places of my spirit and I'll try to share them with you. It might be a photo, or a brief word, but my commitment to share it will keep me mindful of looking for it.

"...so that I may come to you with joy, by God’s will, and in your company be refreshed. The God of peace be with you all. Amen." Romans 15:32-33

And maybe even more important, I want to hear from you. Are you parched? Where do you find refreshment in your driest days? How do you find ways to share that with others even when you don't have much to spare?

4 comments:

BARBIE said...

I love your honesty here. Lately, I've been asking God to fill me, to really fill me up. I have days where I feel like I am just wandering in a dry, parched land. For me it's not a matter of finding large blocks of time to be refreshed, but it's a continually going to the streams of living water. And that isn't easy with everything on my plate. I have to remember to stop, and ask God to come and fill me.

I love your heart for woman and am thankful to run alongside you in encouraging others.

RefreshMom said...

It seems wrong to say, "I'm glad you understand," Barbie! But it is good to know I'm not alone.

I think I had been feeling like I not only need to be taking big drinks of refreshment, but providing them too. But when you're parched, sometimes it's better to sip than to gulp. And a drop of cold water that hits the spot is better than drowning in the gush from a firehose.

So I'm going to be grateful for the refreshing wherever I find it and remember His hand in all of it! Glad to be on this journey with you, friend.

Mary

Carrie Anne Schmeck said...

Totally get it. There by the puddles with you.

My best respite has been the girlfriends who hold my hand, remind me of God's faithfulness, and drag me out to coffee even when I don't feel like going.

Let's hold virtual hands, Girlfriend.

RefreshMom said...

Absolutely, Carrie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...