A Meaningful Memorial Day

I had to laugh when my 5 year old found a rogue black seed in his watermelon the other night and he had to ask what it was! With the proliferation of seedless watermelon, we have a whole generation of kids who've never experienced the messy fun of watermelon seed spitting contests!

Although I know I sounded like my parents, I took the trip down memory lane and told the boys about my childhood church's Memorial Day picnic, which, of course, included watermelon (along with three-legged races, water balloon tosses and Kentucky Fried Chicken-endorsed by the Colonel himself).

The next question that came from the curious one was, "What were you remembering?" Which led right into a mini-lesson on what Memorial Day is about. And this year, I actually had something to tell him because I wrote this article last year. Check it out if you're looking for a way to bring some meaning to the holiday weekend. And have a safe, blessed weekend.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...